- To facilitate maximum examination performance from each student
- To enthuse and engender a wider interest in Biology as a whole, above and beyond the confines of the specification
- To build upon and further develop practical skills
- Our Science Centre provides the perfect backdrop to teaching the Chemists of the 21st century
- Well-equipped laboratories allow us to place experimental work at the fore of lessons
- Three specialist Sixth Form laboratories give our A level students access to facilities and apparatus comparable to undergraduate teaching facilities
- Seven teachers bring a wealth and variety of expertise to the classroom, including experience of academic research and public examining
- Our full time technician is dedicated to providing practical activities which make full use of our well-appointed facilities
Years 9-11 Curriculum
Biology at Bedford Modern School is a taught curriculum over three years of study (Years 9 to 11).
The curriculum follows the Edexcel IGCSE.
In Year 9, students will start with the fundamental concepts in Biology, including cells, the 5 kingdom classification of life, transportation of substances across the cell membrane, diet, enzymes, digestion, respiration and the flow of energy through food chains.
In Year 10, students progress to studying topics mainly based upon physiology and botany, including disease and drug development, ventilation, gas exchange, circulation, excretion and co-ordination and control in both animals and plants.
Year 11 sees the students studying the topics of ecology, environmental change, evolution and natural selection, reproduction and finally genetics, both in terms of inheritance and technologies such as cloning and genetic evolution.
Co-curricular, Enrichment, Extension and Support
- Weekly support sessions – these are non-compulsory sessions where students of any age can come along to get help with specific areas of the course