Music plays a central role in the daily life of the Junior School. Weekly class lessons are led by music specialists.
The emphasis is on:
- Practical experience and creativity
- Discrete musical skills are taught progressively and thoroughly
- Acute listening and excellent communication are encouraged
- Lessons revolve around short projects.
We have a substantial amount of Music Resources to aid in the provision of Music in the Junior School.
We take singing seriously, teaching singing skills and regularly singing together. Music technology includes the use of sophisticated recording technology and the computer composition package Dance Ejay.
Musical events in the Junior School include:
- Co-Curricular music groups
- (Annual) House Music Competitions
- Annual cycle of concerts varying in levels of formality
- Local music festivals and fundraising events (and performances in the local community)
- Working with other Schools
We invite professional musicians to inspire our pupils and professional adjudicators for internal competitions. House Music is a whole school event where all the pupils compete in their House against each other to plan and perform a specific song.
All pupils have the option of learning a musical instrument in school. Instrumental lessons are organised by rotation ensuring that the same academic lessons are not missed every week. Instrumental demonstrations are built into class lessons and school assemblies. All pupils have the option of attending beginner violin club free of charge.