Music plays a central role in the daily life of the Junior School. Weekly class lessons are led by music specialists.
The emphasis is on:
- Practical experience, creativity and fun
- Musical skills, including written notation, theory and listening are taught progressively, alongside written and improvised composition
- Lessons revolve around short projects designed to encourage confidence in performance
We have a substantial amount of Music Resources to aid in the provision of Music in the Junior School.
We take singing seriously, teaching singing skills and regularly singing together. Music technology includes the use of sophisticated recording technology and the computer composition package Dance Ejay.
Musical events in the Junior School include:
- Co-Curricular music groups, including year 3 and 4 and year 5 and 6 choirs and orchestra
- (Annual) House Music Competitions
- Annual cycle of concerts varying in levels of formality including a joint chamber music concert with the Senior School
- Twice termly performance platforms: informal lunchtime concerts giving the opportunity for children to perform to a friendly audience in a relaxed setting
- Opportunities for ensemble and chamber music
- Local music festivals and fundraising events (and performances in the local community)
- Working with other Schools
We invite professional musicians to inspire our pupils and professional adjudicators for internal competitions. House Music is a whole school event where all the pupils compete in their House against each other to plan and perform songs chosen to a given theme.
All pupils have the option of learning a musical instrument in school. Instrumental lessons are organised by rotation, ensuring that the same academic lessons are not missed every week. Instrumental demonstrations are built into class lessons and school assemblies. All children can choose to attend a club for beginner string players, including violin, viola, cello and double bass. Occasional equivalent groups for wind and brass can also be arranged. These clubs are free of charge.