- To facilitate maximum examination performance from each student
- To enthuse and engender a wider interest in Biology as a whole, above and beyond the confines of the specification
- To build upon and further develop practical skills.
- Our Science Centre provides the perfect backdrop to teaching the biologists of the 21st century
- Well-equipped laboratories allow us to place experimental work at the fore of lessons
- Three specialist Sixth Form laboratories give our A Level students access to facilities and apparatus comparable to undergraduate teaching facilities
- Seven teachers bring a wealth and variety of expertise to the classroom, including experience of academic research and public examining
- Our full time-technician is dedicated to providing practical activities which make full use of our well-resourced facilities.
A Level Curriculum
We follow the Edexcel Biology B Specification which aims to enable students to develop:
- Essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- Competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem-solving skills
- Their interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- An understanding of how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
Co-curricular, Enrichment, Extension and Support
- The student-led Sixth Form Science Society organises a variety of activities, from the Years 6-8 Science Fair to the Sixth Form Science Dinner
- The Biology Olympiad is open to all Sixth Form Students
- Students carry out a piece of ecology fieldwork in Year 13 as part of their endorsed practical work.
A large proportion of students go on to study a biology related discipline at university including: Biology, Biosciences/Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Paramedic Science.
"I thoroughly enjoyed my school days. BMS gave me a love of choral music and sport, opportunities of leadership, many lifelong friendships, and a passion for the natural sciences which shaped my career." OBM Dr Vaughan Southgate, Parasitologist